Friday, May 8, 2020

Domain Host

How to spot signs of good web domain hosting?

The first technique is contact test:

Test One. I will try and contact the host via the telephone, calling through to support. Then let’s see how long it takes to get where I want to.
Test Two. I will submit an email to at least 3 hosts. Timing the responses to all of them.
These tests will demonstrate which company offers the best first line of contact. This can be a crucial element when you have an issue or are in need of urgent support.


The other technique is much simpler: search the internet for the company name. Be objective, when you stumble across a forum where one chap has had a bad experience, try and temper this with objectivity. Did this issue get resolved, how long did it take, is it a common fault, etc. By doing this you will get a balanced view.

How to avoid hosts that may not meet with your desired requirements?

I observe some strict criteria when choosing a web host and if any (or all) of them hit any of my below points, I will cross them off my list and start again. Of course you can add or remove elements that do not meet your needs

Responses to my email contact too longer than 24 working hours
The telephone call DID NOT clear up all my concerns clearly
I cannot find any references online of companies who use them
I did find many negative comments on forums that had a common fault theme
The pricing structure is now clear nor flexible
I do not have FTP access
I do not have access to a control panel
I cannot add my own email addresses
I have to contact the host providers to make all changes to my site
There is no Out of hours support infrastructure
How to Choose the Right Website Domain Host for Your Needs?
Executive summary about domain host by Zara S

Firstly what type of website do you need? If you have one of the open source content management websites or an e commerce one then you may need a database. The more basic the site the less you will need.

How much space and file transfer allowance do I need?

How often are you going to change your site? If you are changing it a lot then you may need a right website domain host with larger uploading allowances.

A good website domain host provider will have 99.9% Uptime

Uptime is very important as if it is crashing all the time you will lose your visitors. What after sales support does your domain host provide? Check if they provide 24/7 support and check the response time of the team support.

How many emails do you really need?

Often your website domain host will provide anything from several hundred to a thousand email accounts. But how many do you really need? Don’t be swayed by this unless you do actually need several hundred email accounts.

SSL Secure Server

SSL is a secure server that secures the line and usually costs you more. If you don’t need your pages secured then you don’t need to pay for it. Remember if you are using online payments you can always use a payment site such as PayPal to process secure payments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Domain Name Hosting

How Domain Name Hosting is Done Executive summary about domain name hosting by Peter Gitundu Domain name hosting is the act of a compan...